Home
Monday, April 24, 2017
9:40:51 AM
Users online: 0   You are here >> Home > Networking

Forums | Networking Forums search
Forum FAQ
   
 Previous Page 1 | 2  
LAN Installation techniques from an Installer POV
Goth 
26/9/06 3:45:59 PM
Hero
Immortal


I think that with a wireless router, it would have to be OK.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but i think it applies if there is a physical connection back to say, the ADSL modem and hence to the PSTN.

-----
No United States based airline currently allows snakes in the main cabin area. However, some airlines allow snakes to travel as cargo.

AccessDenied 
26/9/06 9:28:19 PM
Hero
Guru


It's physical connection only.

Obviously, I don't encourage people to break laws or anything. However, geeks will wire their houses regardless the law. However, I'd rather people did it intelligently and therefore ensure happiness for all. It's kinda like providing a safe injecting room. It's gonna exist, so now harm minimization.

AD

-----
AD: 100 points.
Everyone else: Nil
50 points awarded by: The_Salty_Peanut, Mills

99% of girls on the internet are interested in sex. The other 1% are actually girls.

mmav 
27/11/06 9:13:15 PM
Serf

DUDE,

AWWESOME TIPS. Thanks For the Heads Up. I have just moved into a new house (clay brick) and am installing my own CAT5e network.

While the house was being built, My dad and I (ohh, and the wifey) went to the build site and ran all the cable lengths in the wall cavities etc and terminated them in a loop.

I have run a two cable length from each wall point ( two in each room including theater (for MCE) the Kitchen (net access for recipes), The study (well, four actually), the Garage (net acces while doing a new case mod) and the alfresco, for a total of eighteen points all together.

Each run comes back to a central point, ( a built in cupboard with a power point, telephone point, cable modem point and aerial point, installed into the cupboard roof). I plan to install a data patch panel that will plug into a switch of some sort, to serve the data network.

I also hope to patch a second voice panel with at least 8 ports in "duplicate" That is, where each port is directly connected to each other port. That way, I can connect the phone line into it, and it will duplicate the line across the panel, effectively making an eight port telephone panel. By doing this I figure that I will be able to run a patch lead from the telephone panel, into the comms panel thus making the flexibility of turning each point in the rooms a combination of phone or data (though not both!!)

I will keep you'll posted on how it turns out.

-----
It aint brocken until you try to fixen it.

Goth 
5/12/06 10:49:28 PM
Hero
Immortal


I'm currently running some Cat.5e out to a bungalow, where all the power, phone, TV antennas, and other cabling is run along a single beam at ceiling height.

I'll get a pic so you can all see what i mean better.

Now, this means that the Cat5e is going to be run parallel to, and fairly close to, mains power cables for a fair distance.

Is this going to be unworkable?

Cheers.

-----
No United States based airline currently allows snakes in the main cabin area. However, some airlines allow snakes to travel as cargo.

AccessDenied 
8/12/06 5:59:51 PM
Hero
Guru


Goth: Not a REALLY good idea at all.. If it's more than about 3 metres it can start introducing problems.. It *MIGHT* be fine..

The problem is the power..

Seperate the power if you can.. If you can't then I'd recommend getting some steel conduit or similar for the length. Put the power inside that and then EARTH the conduit.

Acceptable alternative = FTP (Foil twisted pair). Run 2 lengths of this. 1 for phone and 1 for data. If you're feeling rich you could even get yourself a balun and run the TV through a pair with the phone.. (Baluns aren't cheap..) With FTP, you'll find a drain wire. Ensure this is earthed ONE SIDE ONLY. Going to a seperate building means there is potential for different earth potentials and can cause current flow.. Never good when dealing with data.

Hope that helps Goth..

AD

-----
AD: 120 points.
Everyone else: Nil
50 points awarded by: The_Salty_Peanut, Mills
20 points awarded by: Lanzer
99% of girls on the internet are interested in sex. The other 1% are actually girls.

Tubby 
18/12/06 1:39:35 PM
Disciple
Very well done AD.
Your right in saying that there aint much info around when it comes cabling a home.

I'm in the middle of building a new house atm and will be running a few cables before the wall lining goes on (much easier without gyprock to contend with). I've decide to use cat 6 and somewhat 'futureproof' the network (for at least 12 months anyway). The frames of the house have just been stood and the brickies will be starting soon so I really need to be getting a wriggle on with sorting out what I will be doing.

So far I'm planning to buy 100metres of cat 6, Have a central point in the Walk-in-Linen in the Laundry which just happens to have a phone point on the other side of the wall where I will have my existing Netgear DG834g wireless modem router and plug in a Netgear DS608 switch (gigabit, 8 port).
I'm planning on running a point to the Office for obvious reasons the Main bedroom and Family room for connection to Media Centre's and to one of the spare rooms that we will use as a second office.

The more I look into all this the more things I come up with to connect to the network. Things like an IP Camera for the front door and/or driveway so any computer/Media Centre can see who is at the front door or in the driveway. Then I started thinking about puting internal cameras so I could log into the network from any internet connection to see whats going on inside the house.
What other things should I consider running a network point to.
I've looked at all the 'smart home' stuff and think that it all just gets too expensive too quickly so lighting control and all that stuff I have already decided not to do.

Thanks for anyfeedback and welldone agin on your original post.

-----
Foxconn 865PE socket 478, P4 3.0ghz, 1.5gig DDR400 RAM, Xpertvision 6800GS AGP, Antec Truepower 2 480watt PSU, XP Home, Pioneer DVR-109, Maxtor 120gb HDD, 2 X Seagate 320gb HDD, 19in LCD. Nothing special here!

AccessDenied 
19/12/06 12:32:04 AM
Hero
Guru


I always work on the principle of run more than you need.. It's cheaper in the long run if you EVER decide you need another access point..

Another option if you don't want to run cable is to drill holes in top-plate + noggins and drop strings down with a little weight and tie it off at the top so it doesn't drop.. (Staple gun is good for this)

THUS. You don't run any cable.. BUT you have about 20 of this drop strings around the place.. Suddenly, the wife moves the furniture around the place and you need a network cable on the other side of the office? Not a problem.. Have location marked. Cut appropriate sized hole.. Tie/tape cable onto string.. Climb in roof and pull string up.. No fuss cable running..

AD

-----
AD: 155 points.
50 points awarded by: The_Salty_Peanut, Mills
20 points awarded by: Lanzer, Damo
15 points awarded by: Bastard
99% of girls on the internet are interested in sex. The other 1% are actually girls.

Tubby 
19/12/06 2:21:31 PM
Disciple
Good idea AD.
The house we are building is 2 storey so it might be a bit difficult to leave draw strings in the ground floor, top floor should be easy. I had planned on bringing a cable or two from the Patch Panel down stairs and leave them in the roof cavity for any future use.

-----
Foxconn 865PE socket 478, P4 3.0ghz, 1.5gig DDR400 RAM, Xpertvision 6800GS AGP, Antec Truepower 2 480watt PSU, XP Home, Pioneer DVR-109, Maxtor 120gb HDD, 2 X Seagate 320gb HDD, 19in LCD. Nothing special here!

GlennsPref 
5/1/07 11:22:14 AM
Champion

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Great article AD.

-----
Regards, Glenn
.::> A girlfriend said to me, "If you don't stop playing that guitar, I'm leaving!". $#@!, I miss her! <::.

Registered Linux user #406321
register @ http://counter.li.org/

GlennsPref@gmail.com

Hyperion 
26/2/07 5:40:58 PM
Overlord

Cat6 was meant to implement impedence matching for the cables. If you look closely at the Cat5e cable you will notice each pair has a different twist rate. This is to reduce cross talk between pairs. The poblem with this is that if one cable is twisted more then another over extended lengths then they will have a different impedence (resistance) over the length of the cable. To fix this several cable companies have varied the thickness of the pairs as well so the impedence of each pair is the same per meter. (RF theory with the Skin Effect plays a hand in this.)

However Cat6 does not specify this in its standard. Just a way cable makers are making their cables better.

As for twistpatch (stranded) my work still uses it as you always get a neater data cabinet with made-to-length cables. Also we have found our hand made cables test a lot better then the pre-made ones.

305m of Twistpatch can be purcahsed from WES quite cheap.

Otherwise some really good tips in this writeup. Well done.

-----
Smith and Wesson: The original point and click interface.

Muinztar 
28/7/07 1:41:12 AM
Hero
Immortal


BAHAHAAHA...


That was a top read, and I had several LOL moments. Particularly the big 1's and 1's bit.

You make me feel like a n00b.

-----
Frag. (n): You.


Devilsmurf 
16/10/07 10:58:58 PM
Apprentice
As far as I'm aware, if it's a permanent installation, aka run through walls, or underground, then it's a requirement that it be done by an installer/electrician.

Having said that, I agree people will do this anyway, in fact I've done electrical work around the house unlicensed, but with the help of family members who are electricians.Hell, the owner of this place has done all of the wiring himself, and it's an f-ing mess.

Most important part of doing any of this is safety, for yourself and for the people using your devices. Don't assume that you are the only one who will ever plug/unplug cables from your networked devices, so be very carefully that you don't pick up current along the way, or damage any electrical when you are doing this work. If in ANY doubt, get a professional in to do the work.

-----

 Previous Page 1 | 2  
Forums | Networking